Friday, November 13, 2009

Comments about Michael Wesch's Video

Michael Wesch
I was so surprised to hear Mr. Wesch speak about Huxley at the beginning of the video. I am studying him right now in one of my classes!I agree with the statement made about when media changes, our conversations change. I could not help but think about texting, and how is has changed our conversations.
The little clip Mr. Wesch showed about Maury Povich show was too cute. So many kids today have the "I don't care attitude" and it reflects badly on the parents. The American Idol phenomenon was a great example of how we are all trying to find our identity in the world. I liked how he said the kids were miserable because they were not the next Idol.
I totally understand the whole camera thing. When you are about to speak to the camera, you really do not know just how many people are going to see it. The camera does make you aware of self, and the fear of having to see yourself later on really bothers many people!

2 comments:

  1. I asked Keysha (TT11) this question which I can also address to you: In his talk Dr. Wesch held out hope that the new media would lead us to new and better conversations with others, that could lead to a culture of caring. Do you see any validity to his argument. Think of the many conversations we have had this semester using the media. Do they provide you with any hope, any sense of how powerful - for good - these new relationships and conversations could be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think the American Idol syndrome was a great representation of today's generation. I also agree with him on the camera thing. It gives you freedom but then you are thinking about who is watching and your idea of yourself becomes different!

    ReplyDelete